[Openradio] Re : MMB Tools with WBX Daughter Card

Mathias Coinchon coinchon at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 27 14:10:07 CEST 2010

Hi Binuraj,

I also tested the latest version of the CD and effectively they don't work with the WBX daughterboard because the CD uses gnuradio 3.2 branch.

As the WBX is new, you have to use the gnuradio development trunk so the 3.3 branch and copy the CRC DAB executables (or recompile them).
- To get the gnuradio development trunk you have to do a commit as explained here and compile it: http://gnuradio.org/redmine/wiki/gnuradio/BuildGuide
- To CRC executables to copy are CRC-DabMux, CRC-DabMod and CRC-Dwap.py + some libraries (libfec, etc)

CRC-Dwap.py that is the python script  doing baseband sample playout to the USRP must be adapted. I have done some slights modification to have it working with the latest gnuradio branch and have gain and offset settings done in the right way.
I will forward the version I use to you.

If you use Ubuntu, don't use their gnuradio installation because they install 3.0 branch but follow these instructions:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/wiki/gnuradio/UbuntuInstall

Soon gnuradio plan to release a new stable branch based on 3.3.

Keep also in mind that the CRC tools generate DAB Mode II only, this makes no change on the multiplex level but is a mode with different OFDM parameters scaled for L Band. In Europe DAB Mode I is used that has parameters for VHF band III (174-230MHz).

There's no problem however using Mode II in VHF except that this mode cannot cope with long multiple reflections (because of lower OFDM guard interval). All the tests we are doing on opendigitalradio.org are done in mode II and we didn't see problems with receivers.

I have put in copy of the email the authors and project managers from CRC who have designed CRC MMBtools.

Best regards

Mathias Coinchon